Central Women’s Aid
We are your local charity working to support women and children subjected to domestic abuse, we have a variety of services on offer to help women and children. Our service has accommodated thousands of families over the years, helping them to rebuild their lives free from fear. In the last ten years alone we have accommodated over 600 people and supported 100s more.
All money donated to our charity is used to provide support to women and children who have been subjected to abuse.
If you need to make a referral to us then call on 01159607943 or for non-urgent referrals email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Emergency accommodation
- Practical and emotional support including clothing and essential items on arrival here.
- Delivery of the Freedom programme
- Help with maximising income, accessing education and making links with other external agencies including homelessness support
- Therapeutic support and referrals to counselling and self-esteem building courses
- Ongoing resettlement support.
- Assistance and support for women with complex needs e.g. women living with addiction issues.
- We can also provide training for professionals!
We work to the ethos of ‘Women Supporting Women.’ Our team, includes volunteers, staff and our board of directors who volunteer to support our charity. We encourage women who are survivors of domestic abuse to join our team.
- A team of support Workers (including a dedicated specialist Complex Needs worker)
- A dedicated Children’s Support Worker
- Freedom Programme Facilitators
- A board of Trustees (volunteers)
Central Women’s Aid was originally founded in the 1970s. In March 2011, we closed briefly due to government cuts in funding. Following a period of campaigning and fundraising, January 2012 saw workers re-open the refuge initially on a voluntary basis.
Our refuge is, unfortunately always full, with the need for support being greater than the capacity of the available services across England.
Central Women’s Aid is independently run registered charity (number 1146410) and company. We now have funding in place for our team of part time workers but rely heavily on fantastic volunteers and public donations to continue our work.