Emergency accommodation

Who can access emergency refuge accommodation?

  • Women over the age of 16 who are escaping domestic abuse.  Including coercive control, emotional, psychological and financial abuse. 
  • Women with or without children
  • Women who have been raped or sexually assaulted.

We will support women from all backgrounds, and abilities including women with a range of additional support needs such as substance use or mental health issues.

We help families with no income or no recourse to public funds. For additional support or advice to access support please get in touch.

Unfortunately, the refuge is not currently accessible to wheelchair users or people unable to safely use stairs. Anyone can use the search feature below to find a support service (use the scroll bar at the side to see the options)

Find out more!

Get advice or refer to refuge by calling us directly on 0115 9607943 or by contacting a 24 hour helpline. If you are unsure whether you are being subjected to domestic abuse then please get in touch for support and access to a community support programme.   The freedom programme, own my life or power of change sessions are all free and accessible in the community.

Call us directly on 0115 960 7943 or call a 24 hour helpline 0808 800 0340

What will happen when I call?

  1. A support worker will take details from you over the phone to make sure you are safe.
  2. We need to complete a referral form with you.
  3. If you need to escape to safe accommodation we will tell you on the same day if you can come into our refuge or we will direct you to another service.
  4. If you are accepted, we will arrange to meet you at a safe location before bringing you to the refuge.

How much does it cost?

No one will be turned away based on their income, or asked to leave work to access our refuge accommodation.

There are two costs while staying at the refuge: Rent and Service charges

People receiving Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) or Universal Credit, will usually have rent paid in full by Housing Benefit. If you are working there may be a charge for rent. The support staff will offer advice on the issue at the point of making contact.

There is a Service Charge each week charged per adult resident which covers running costs such as heating, lighting, cleaning products, cooking facilities, water rates etc.